Ask the Renovations Expert – Allan Graveline
Before you hire a contractor to do renovations or repairs to your home, do your homework.
GET WRITTEN ESTIMATES
Get written estimates from more than one business. Provide each business with a detailed description of the work you want completed and the materials you want the contractor to use.
- A written estimate should include:
- A complete description of the work that will be done
- The type and quality of materials that will be used
- The project start and completion dates
- Itemized costs and the total price
- A statement of any guarantees made by the contractor
- The required method of payment.
The best way to find a home renovations contractor is through other satisfied customers. Ask around. Have any of your friends or neighbours had similar work done? If so, check out the quality and workmanship to decide if it meets your standards.
Contact your local Better Business Bureau. Check their reliability reports for information about a specific company’s complaint history.
Avoid contractors who:
- knock on your door to tell you they just happen to be doing some work in the area and can give you a special price (most problems relating to home renovations involve contractors who solicit contracts door-to-door)
- promise a discount if you allow them to use your home to advertise their work (the contractor has probably made the same offer to everyone)
- quote a price without seeing the job
- demand a large down payment to buy materials (most reputable contractors maintain charge accounts with their suppliers)
- refuse to give you a written contract outlining what they will do or who won’t allow you to get other estimates
- provide a post office box as their address or an answering service for a telephone number
- will not commit to a specific start and completion date.
Schedule Your Renovation today! Talk to the window and door people at A-Line Renovations. Book your consultation to get your project started. Please call for immediate service or visit our website for more info. Our skilled team looks forward to finding a custom solution for you!
403-330-4092 and visit us online at www.alinerenovationsltd.com.